Re: [Orgmode] [org-plot] multiple graphs on a plot

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [org-plot] multiple graphs on a plot
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 13:59:17 +0000

At Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:34:24 -0700,
Eric Schulte wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I don't believe anyone has yet extended org-plot to support multiple
> independent variable columns.  Since stating work on Org-babel [1], I
> know use gnuplot source-code blocks for all of my plotting needs, as
> they provide a more direct interface into gnuplot.  For example the
> following should provide the functionality your are looking for...
>
> #+tblname: my-table
> |   1 | 2 | 1.5 | 3 |
> |   2 | 4 |   3 | 9 |
> | ... |   |     |   |
>
> #+begin_src gnuplot :var data=my-table
>   plot data using 1:2, data using 3:4
> #+end_src

Eric (& Tom as well),

This works like a charm!  I should have guessed that org-babel would
be able to come to the rescue :-) Many thanks.

Being able to embed such arbitrary programming languages etc is
changing my whole workflow even more than org-mode itself did.  A
typical org file of mine these days seems always to include latex,
shell commands and maxima code, and I can now add gnuplot to this set.
Interestingly, 15 years on, org-mode &co. are accomplishing what the
CMU folk wanted to do with their Andrew project, specifically their
=ez= editor.

It used to be that I hated leaving emacs to do anything; now it's
getting to the point that I hate even leaving org-mode!  I wonder if I
can embed wanderlust within org-mode... ;-)

Thanks again,
eric