Re: [Orgmode] images in orgmode

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] images in orgmode
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:07:48 -0500

Erwin Panen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm finally trying out image support for Orgmode.
> I've set up .emacs ((23.1.1 windows)according to
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-config-examples.php
> After some slight modifications it seems to work.
>
> I created a test.org file like this:
> ---------------begin test file--------
> * Let's add a headline
> * And a secong one
> ** Now a secondary level one
>    [[~/images/scenario_27.png]]
>    Try another one
>    [[~/images/scenario_27.jpg]]
>
> ** Yes!! This works!!
> ** Now let's try this:
>    `images/scenario_27.pngĀ“
> --------------end test file-----------
>
> Question:
> When I click on one of the links between [ ] square brackets, my
> window splits in half, and in the bottom half the image appears.
> Looking at iimage here:
> http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~kose/Emacs/iimage.html#4.+Key+bin
> It should be possible to visualize these images inline with the text
> instead of a separate window.
>
> What needs to be done to achieve this? Any pointer to a concise tutorial?.

This works really well. From Eric Schulte's Emacs Starter Kit[fn:1]
Use M-x org-toggle-iimage-in-org to toggle links to images into the
images themselves. (Maybe this should also go on Worg hacks?)

** Support for viewing images
This allows for the viewing of images in-line in Org-mode documents.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (require 'iimage)
  (setq iimage-mode-image-search-path (expand-file-name "~/"))
  ;; Match org file: links
  (add-to-list 'iimage-mode-image-regex-alist
               (cons (concat "\\[\\[file:\\(~?" iimage-mode-image-filename-regex
  (defun org-toggle-iimage-in-org ()
    (interactive)
    (let ((turning-on (not iimage-mode)))
      (set-face-underline-p 'org-link (not turning-on))
      (iimage-mode (or turning-on 0))))
#+end_src

Dan