Re: [Orgmode] file link format question - How to format link when square

From: David Maus
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] file link format question - How to format link when square brackets [ ] are already in filename?
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:38:21 +0100

Hi Erwin,

At Tue, 02 Feb 2010 20:43:27 +0100,
Erwin Panen wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for replying;
> I don't understand what you mean. I was not aware off url-encoding, but found
> help here: http://www.eskimo.com/~bloo/
> indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm
> So far so good.
> The way I interpret this is that I can 'replace' [square brackets] in orgmode
>  with %5Bsquare brackets%5D

That's exactly what I meant. The behaviour you notice when /not/
encoding the square brackets is absolutely correct because of the way
Orgmode works: If you display a file in org-mode, the Orgmode
functions interpret the file's content and change the way certain
portions of the file look ("folding" of the link, i.e. only display
the description) and what you can do on this regions (i.e. open the
link).

So there is for instance a pattern that "tells" Orgmode that something
is a link: [[<some characters][<some other characters>]] is recognized
as a link with a target (first set of characters) and a description
(second set of characters). If there are literal square brackets in
either the description or the target, Orgmode simply does not
recognize the string as a link.

The same principle (interpreting strings/a sequence of characters)
causes Orgmode to recognize the [32] as a footnote. Why? Because there
is a definition that says the "a number between two square brakets is
a footnote".

> However when I try this, org does not 'convert' to a link...? What
> am I missing?

Strange. What Emacs and Orgmode version do you use?[1] I use

"GNU Emacs 23.1.92.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.6) of
 2010-01-31 on elegiac, modified by Debian"

with

"Org-mode version 6.34trans (release_6.34c.65.g45c58)"

For me encoding the square brackets in the link name with %5B and %5D
works. That is: Emacs/Orgmode "collapses" the link and only displays
the description part.

,----
| [[\\Dcerouter\public\videos\STORY_Station (sdb1)-CORE %5B32%5D\Les Rivières
Pourpres 720x304\The Crimson Rivers.mkv][The Crimson Rivers.mkv]]
`----

gives:

,----
| The Crimson Rivers.mkv
`----

Regards,
 -- David

[1] To find out your version simply execute "org-version" (M-x
org-version RET) and "emacs-version" (M-x emacs-version RET) and
switch to the buffer called "*Messages*" to see the version strings of
Emacs and Orgmode.
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... address@hidden