[Orgmode] Re: Any idea why the git repo is so huge

From: Leo
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Any idea why the git repo is so huge
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:12:30 +0000

On 2010-02-02 12:29 +0000, Ian Barton wrote:

>> The git repo I just checked out a minute ago is 54M, 20 times bigger
>> than the org lisp files. Any idea why it is so large? Thanks.
>>
>> Leo
>>
> Don't forget it has a complete history of all org development since
> the initial import of the source.
>
> You may be able to reduce the size of your local repo by running:
>
> git gc
>
> See http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/docs/v1.6.0.6/git-gc.html
>
> Ian.

Of course. But git is supposed to be very efficient in storing history
and other things. I remembered when it first appeared when Linus was
still maintaining it, it could have the Linux kernel's source tree with
complete history and other things within 1.5 times the size of the net
source.

Git gc won't help because 54M is the size of the first checkout.

Leo