Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: Managing a bibtex database

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: Managing a bibtex database
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:01:29 -1000

On Jan 21, 2010, at 6:20 AM, Taru Karttunen wrote:

Hello

I am wondering whether org-babel would be suitable for managing a
bibtex database of ~1500 entries. I am thinking of making Bibtex
entries into literate source code and thus have org-mode managing
them in a more sensible way.

Has anyone else done something like this? Any better ideas how to
accomplish this?

- Taru Karttunen

Aloha Taru,

This is an interesting idea. I haven't tried it, but I have spent a lot of effort over many years maintaining a large BibTeX database.

Once bibtex is registered as an Org-babel language, then bibtex mode would be available for editing entries. Org keywords have an immediate and obvious use for topical bibliographies. The literate programming capability of Org-babel might be used to implement an authority list for author names, which would help solve one of the biggest problems we have trying to maintain a database with many contributors.

Please keep me up-to-date as you either implement an org-mode BibTeX database or decide against it for some reason.

All the best,
Tom