Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:45:45 -0500

andrea <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm really tempted to move all my emacs configuration in only one big file.
> This would also help me to make it more consistent and readable.
>
> But I'm afraid to mess up something, in theory I just need:
> - a simple org and babel loader
> - one big file containing everything

Hi Andrea,

I've used a single org mode file to keep all my emacs configuration code
for the last 5 months or so and I have not had any problems at all. I
highly recommend it.  I am using a simple set up:

My ~/.emacs contains

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
(require 'org-install)
(require 'org-babel-init)
(org-babel-load-file "~/config/emacs/emacs.org")

and all the rest of my emacs config code is in ~/config/emacs/emacs.org

There is a more sophisticated setup described in the org-babel manual

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.php

in the section "Emacs Initialization with Org-babel"

> But how is emacs behaving?
>
> For example the customization frame would be able to write on that file?

M-x customize writes things like (custom-set-variables ...) to the
bottom of my ~/.emacs file. But I don't really use M-x customize much.

Dan