Re: [Orgmode] Timeline View Ouput for a Project

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Timeline View Ouput for a Project
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:50:24 -0600

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 09:38:39AM -0600, Xiaolong Tang wrote:
> Certainly inserting an (inactive) timestamp in the case as you
> mentioned is necessary (to me). Your code is preferred, of course,
> if you had time.

Add this to your .emacs, and F9 will insert an inactive timestamp for
"now". C-u C-c . RET is four keystrokes, this is a single. Its a great
shortcut. Forgive the duplication, I think I posted this twice to the
ML in the last six months.

;; Insert immediate timestamp
(define-key global-map (kbd "<f9>")
  '(lambda () (interactive)
     (when (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
       (org-insert-time-stamp nil t t)
       (insert "\n"))))

> Yes, you are correct. Yet I have a few questions.
>
> 1. The agenda view with logbook-mode enabled does not show the
> deadline for a project in some cases. For example, I scheduled a
> project on Monday January 11, and set up its deadline, say, March
> 20. Thus, the original headline looks like:
>
> * TODO XXXXXX
>   SCHEDULED: <2010-01-11 Mon> DEADLINE: <2010-03-20 Sat>
>
> The view output, however, does not show the deadline. I guess that
> the logbook-mode wold not show just because the deadline is far away
> from today, and it in principle only shows those happenings. Am I
> right?

I just checked my agenda in logbook mode, I do see scheduled and
deadline items, but only on *today*. It won't tell you if you met
them.

> 2. Generally creating the agenda view works for all agenda
> files. So, in case that one want to create the view for an org file,
> is there any efficient way to do that? I have not figured out a
> satisfying method. Do you have any comment on this?

When I'm working in a project file, I'll call agenda and restrict it
to the current file (C-c a 1 a). I don't typically add a project file
to my main agenda list. This also helps with exporting, a customer
doesn't need to see *my* agenda, just the project items.

> 3. As you mentioned below, you export the view to HTML. How do you
> get this done?

http://orgmode.org/manual/Exporting-Agenda-Views.html#Exporting-Agenda-Views

I do not setup export views for C-c a e, I don't do them often
enough. I'll just goto the logbook view, and C-x C-w.

Alternatively I think you can just call M-x htmlize-buffer.

Enjoy!

Russell Adams                            address@hidden