Re: [Orgmode] Smart(er) word wrapping with org-mode and visual-line-mode

From: Martin Pohlack
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Smart(er) word wrapping with org-mode and visual-line-mode
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:09:23 +0100

Hi Carsten and Matthew,

On 08.01.2010 18:24, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Martin Pohlack wrote:
>> I just tried this out (only for headlines up to now) and it seems to
>> work great.
>>
>> Are there any plans to integrate something like this into upstream?
>> Especially the wrapping of headlines would enable extensive tag usage.
>
> I have been thinking about that, but not arrived at a conclusion.  One
> thing is the interaction with org-indent-mode.  That mode already does
> the wrapping for headlines correctly by adding `wrap-prefix', and it
> will look really good if you set the variable word-wrap to t.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.  I think the documentation to org-indent
doesn't mention wrapping (14.6 A cleaner outline view).  How about
something like this:

  org-indent-mode also sets the wrap-prefix property, such that
  visual-line-mode (or purely setting word-wrap) wraps long lines
  (including headlines) correctly indented.

> However, the showstoppers are the following:
>
> 1. I cannot bring myself to turn off truncate-lines, because it
>     messes up tables and code examples badly, and these are major
>     components of my work.

Right, I haven't used it to much up to now.

>     I have actually put in a feature
>     request into Emacs for a property `truncate-line', to be
>     able to control this line by line.  I got positive feedback,
>     but I don't know when any of the developers finds time
>     to implement it - I cannot do that myself.

Awesome.  This sounds like the way to go.

> 2. Visual-line-mode is also a no go for me, I use keyboard
>     macros a lot and need to be able to rely on the fact that
>     [down] move the cursor into the next physical line.

I sometimes like visual navigation in wrapped text and my own motion
commands.  I have two commands to move visually explicitly (bound to
s-down, s-up (super-...)).

(defun next-visual-line (&optional arg try-vscroll)
  (interactive "^p\np")
  (let ((line-move-visual t))
    (with-no-warnings
      (next-line arg try-vscroll))))

(defun previous-visual-line (&optional arg try-vscroll)
  (interactive "^p\np")
  (let ((line-move-visual t))
    (with-no-warnings
      (previous-line arg try-vscroll))))

> So I am not sure how to handle this.  We could turn Matthews
> code into a module that users can turn on if they wish.

I'm using Matthew's module right now for two reasons.

* I had some trouble configuring org-indent-mode to only handle
  line-wrapping for headlines, i.e., it shall only set wrap-prefix and
  do nothing else.  It always wanted to indent my headlines and body
  texts additionally.  Is this possible?

* Also, emacs segfaulted deterministically after globally collapsing
  all trees with org-indent-mode active.  I have to look into this ...

Cheers,
Martin