Re: [Orgmode] RFC: Syntax for page numbers in file: links?

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] RFC: Syntax for page numbers in file: links?
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:24:56 +0900

Hi,

during following this thread I noticed one "problem" with the page and line-
number concept

>   - file:~/some-file.txt::23    some-file.txt, line 23

A txt-file may have no clear page boarders. Thus only a line number might make
sens

>   - file:~/document.pdf:4       document.pdf, page 4

A PDF may have only pages and maybe (I do not know at the moment) there is a
way to address bookmarks and toc entries and even line numbers

>   - file:~/document.odf:3::5    document.odf, page 3, line 5

A odf can have both line numbers and page numbers as well as chapters-,
paragraphs- etc. markers.

Thus, it depends heavily on the kind of document and on the ability of the
external reader.
I would suggest to make sure, if no page number but a line number is given,
this line number should be dealt as absolute value (starting from the very
first line). If a page number and a line number is given, the line number is
relative to the given page. Furthermore, there should be something to deal
with wrong inputs. E.g. given page number for file-types which does not have
defined pages (like txt, source code, etc.).

Nice would be the possibility to refer to TOC, paragraphs and other markers
since they would keep valid even if later versions of the file change the
position and make page and line number invalid.

Just my thoughts

Torsten