Re: [Orgmode] Need help exporting subtrees to html

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Need help exporting subtrees to html
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:51:37 -0700

Juan Reyero <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Juan Reyero <address@hidden> writes:

>> If it helps, I've been doing something similar to support publishing
>> updates on the org-babel development -- using the code shown here [1]
>> under the "Development Updates" section.  This generates a files in
>> _posts for each subtree of of the "tasks" and "bugs" sections which have
>> a time-stamp in their properties.  It should be fairly straightforward
>> to adapt this code to export all properties as YAML frontmatter.
>
> It is exactly what I did :-).  I found your code here [1], and adapted
> it so that it would use files in an org-publish project and would
> export properties.

Ah, I should have read the thread more carefully :)

> So thank you very much for making it available.  It does, however,
> have the same problem I find: the header level with which the piece is
> exported (h1, h2, etc) depends on the outline level on which the item
> you export happened to be.  I was hoping to export the chunks
> independently of where they were written.

So this turned out to be somewhat tricky.  I was able to adjust my
previous code so that every subtree will be promoted to a top-level
heading before export by adding the following (this change can also be
seen in my published code here [1]).

                (org-narrow-to-subtree)
                (let ((level (- (org-outline-level) 1))
                      (contents (buffer-substring (point-min) (point-max))))
                  (dotimes (n level nil) (org-promote-subtree))
                  (setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))
                  (set-buffer org-buffer)
                  (delete-region (point-min) (point-max))
                  (insert contents)
                  (save-buffer))