[Orgmode] Re: Date calculations

From: Ben Finney
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Date calculations
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:46:40 +1100

Memnon Anon <address@hidden> writes:

> ,----[ (info "(org)Weekly/daily agenda") ]
> |      * Birthdays and similar stuff
> |      #+CATEGORY: Holiday
> |      %%(org-calendar-holiday)   ; special function for holiday names
> |      #+CATEGORY: Ann
> |      %%(diary-anniversary 14  5 1956) Arthur Dent is %d years old
> |      %%(diary-anniversary  2 10 1869) Mahatma Gandhi would be %d years old
> `----
>
> These examples suggest D-M-Y, which only seems to work with the
> calendar set to european style. Maybe, it would be better to change
> the example to M-D-Y (I think it is more common?) and add a footnote
> that provides the info that the date format is depending on
> calendar-date-style?

It might be even better to use calendar style ‘iso’ in that
documentation, to be consistent with default Org usage.

> So, if I understand it correctly, org-bbdb settled on iso format,
> diary-anniversary uses either american or european style depending on
> calendar-date-style.
>
> Thats somehow inconsistent, isn't it?

Yes, that inconsistency in the Diary behaviour has been noted.

--
 \       “My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves |
  `\              to fact, not to try and make facts harmonise with my |