Re: [Orgmode] Date calculations

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Date calculations
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:09:40 +0000

Fredrik wrote:
I'm using a normal org-file as my contact register so I easier can link tasks to a specific person. I have also added events as birthdays to each contact but is there some way I can make them show up in the agenda with some yearly calculations?

For example a simple birthday reminder can look like this:

* <2006-12-30 ++1y> Happy Birthday!

Is there some clever way I can add a date calculation to it when it shows up in the agenda?

* <2006-12-30 ++1y> Happy Birthday %d years!

Regards,

You can use diary sexps. Search the manual for "Diary-style sexp entries". As an example I have:

%%(diary-anniversary 3  1 2000) Ella is %d years old

in one of my org files.

Ian.