[Orgmode] Re: Clock logging -- possible to include seconds?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Clock logging -- possible to include seconds?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 12:14:21 +0100

On Dec 22, 2009, at 4:16 PM, Bill Powell wrote:

Hi folks,

Thanks again to y'all for org-mode. Here's a quick question: how hard
would it be to include seconds in the clock logging? It may sound like
a silly request, but I often have to work on two or three billable
different projects in a day, sometimes switching back and forth
between them. When you add up all those intervals for an invoice
covering a month or more, counting those half and quarter
minutes might add up to an additional hour or so of billable time.

It's possible I'm just misunderstanding the org-mode algorithm, and
that its rounding turns out to be almost as accurate over the long
haul. Plus, many people expect to be billed by the half hour anyhow.
But I time various projects for myself, too, so this is really an
interest for my own work. What do you all think?

Bill Powell

Hi Bill,

I would think that this will average away.  When clocking in,
Org only notices the full minutes.  If you are clocking in at
14:22:59 and out again 1 second later at 14:23:00 you will
cheat 59 seconds into the clocking interval and bill a whole
minute.  So this kind of *cheating* goes both ways and will
average out.

And yes, it really would seem strange to clock by the second :-)

- Carsten