[Orgmode] Re: Best way to use org-mode as a work log

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Best way to use org-mode as a work log
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:07:33 -0500

Ethan Brown <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been an emacs user since about 1990, but have just recently
> discovered org-mode.  It seems as if it would be very well suited to
> use as my work log--I currently just use a regular text file.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by a work log? Org-mode has
built in logging and clocking features to track when you worked on
something and how long you spent on it. Using the agenda, you can easily
review all your work from any past date, week, etc. But perhaps you mean
something more like a diary?

> Since a work log is based around daily entries, I'm wondering if
> anyone can recommend the best way to use org-mode for such a purpose.
> I perused the FAQs but didn't see anything. Org-mode apparently
> integrates with the emacs calendar/diary so there is probably a "right
> way" to do this. If there's a FM out there that deals with this I'm
> happy to RTFM.

These sections of the manual should be of interest:

 - http://orgmode.org/manual/Progress-logging.html#Progress-logging

 - http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-commands.html#Agenda-commands (see
   the command vl or l - toggle logbook mode)

 - http://orgmode.org/manual/Clocking-work-time.html#Clocking-work-time

> I read the excellent tutorial at
> http://www.newartisans.com/2007/08/using-org-mode-as-a-day-planner.html
> about using org-mode as a day planner, but a work log is somewhat
> different, as it's a recount of the events and tasks worked on during
> the day.

You might want to check out Bernt Hansen's nice walk-through, which
deals extensively with clocking:

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

Best,
Matt