Re: [Orgmode] Re: Babel - simple getting started problem

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Babel - simple getting started problem
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:52:45 -0700

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Dan Davison wrote:
>>
>> * meantest
>> #+srcname: calcmean(data=trial)
>> #+begin_src R
>> mean(data)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results: calcmean
>> : 6.5
>>
>> or alternative syntax
>>
>> #+begin_src R :var data=trial
>> mean(data)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> : 6.5
>
> As I am as well *learning* Org-babel and its satellites (R, GNU screen, etc.),
> I'm wondering if there is one of the two above syntaxes that gets more chance
> to be the survivor -- would there be a war between both ;-)
>
> I mean: I'm not yet attached to any of the two. Which one should I use better,
> ensuring more portability over time?  Or are these both totally equivalent,
> and will it stay so for the coming years?

Both of these syntaxes are totally equivalent, and both should be fully
supported into the foreseeable future.  As for the winner in a war
between the two it would be the :var syntax.  The :var syntax is more
fundamental as it's part of the header-argument syntax which is core to
org-babel so there is no conceivable way that it would not be supported,
while the srcname(args) syntax is more syntactic-sugar on top of the
existing header argument syntax.

That said you should be safe using either. -- Eric