Re: [Orgmode] Organizing a students live

From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Organizing a students live
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:41:36 -0300

The best thing about org-mode is that it is very flexible and anyway you fell
comfortable with is good way. For me, I prefer to use SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
only for tasks and active time stamps for appointments or special dates
(birthdays, for example).

For instance, if you have Math classes on Mondays and Wednesdays and a Physics
classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays you could use active time stamps for the
actual class and SCHEDULE and DEADLINE for the tasks and tests you have to
do. See below an example
,----
| * Classes
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :CATEGORY: Classes
|   :END:
| *** Math class
|     <2009-12-14 Mon +7d 8:00-10:00>
|     <2009-12-16 Wed +7d 8:00-10:00>
|
| ***** Tests
|       :PROPERTIES:
|       :CATEGORY: Math Tests
|       :END:
| ******* TODO Study for the fist test
|         DEADLINE: <2010-01-18 Mon>
|         Here you could put what you need to study
| ******* TODO Study for the second test
|         DEADLINE: <2010-02-22 Mon -20d>
|         etc etc
|

| ***** Homeworks
|       :PROPERTIES:
|       :CATEGORY: Math Homeworks
|       :END:
| ******* TODO Do homework from day [2009-12-14 Mon]
|         DEADLINE: <2009-12-21 Mon>
|
| *** Physics class
|     <2009-12-15 Tue +7d 10:00-11:30>
|     <2009-12-17 Thu +7d 10:00-11:30>
|
| ***** Tests
| ***** Homeworks
`----

The CATEGORY property is useful to easily differentiate in the agenda view which
class a "study task" belongs to, but you could also just add it to the headline
and forget about the category. Also, deadlines are shown in the agenda 14 days
before they are due (by default), but you may change this as I did in the second
Math test (more days for difficult tests and less days for easy ones).

You could also use attachments to add PDF files to the "study tasks",
etc. Org-mode is really powerful.

- Darlan Cavalcante