[Orgmode] Question about searches (ultimately for agenda)

From: Mueen Nawaz
Subject: [Orgmode] Question about searches (ultimately for agenda)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:57:25 -0600

Hi,

In the docs (10.3.3 Matching tags and properties), I see ways to do tag searches that can also search TODO states.

Can I also search TODO levels? For example, in one file covered by the agenda, I use the usual DONE to denote done. In another, which is focused on simply stuff that I have borrowed/lent, I have RETURNED as my "DONE" state.

I occasionally apply tags to headings with the name of the person involved. So let's say that I've put :Jack: on some headings of items that have been lent and returned. But I also have :Jack: in my other .org files that are not about lending/borrowing.

I want to search for all headlines that have :Jack: in them, but exclude anything that is a "DONE" state - so exclude both DONE and RETURNED.

I know I can just do:
Jack-TODO="DONE"-TODO="RETURNED"

But I don't want to keep editing it as I change my DONE states or add more DONE states.

Is this possible?

Thanks.