Re: [Orgmode] Oddity in LaTeX export?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Oddity in LaTeX export?
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 02:35:07 -0500

Mark Elston <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a standard format I like to use in creating some class notes
> in latex.  I use memoir and have a boilerplate that only differs
> in the title from notes to notes.  I have decided to try to manage
> my documentation for my notes in org to see if it is easier to do.
> Mostly (so far) it is a pretty good match.
>
> However, I have run into a snag for exporting the notes to latex.
> I tried using the #+TITLE: directive but got page numbers (in roman)
> on the first couple of pages.  This looked ugly.

Can you post the tex file that is produced with the TITLE directive? I
don't understand why/how roman page numbers are produced (but I don't
know memoir well).

> So I set the#+TITLE: directive to be empty and added to the #+TEXT: block
> the following:
>
> #+TEXT: \title{ABC Class Notes}
> #+TEXT: \begin{titlingpage}
> #+TEXT: \maketitle
> #+TEXT: \end{titlingpage}
>
> This almost works.  The problem is the first of these lines gets
> exported with the closing '}' escaped.  In other words it comes
> out as:
>
> \title{ABC Class Notes\}
>
> I am not sure why this is or what to do about it.

This is probably a bug - Carsten has fixed a number of instances
of such escaped braces I believe.

> BTW, I had to set the TITLE directive to empty since just having it
> resulted in an automatic \maketitle export which was not surrounded
> by the titlingpage environment.  I really wanted that titlingpage
> environment and I couldn't think of another way of  handling it.

You can perhaps redefine org-export-latex-title-command:

(setq org-export-latex-title-command
"\\begin{titlingpage}\n\\maketitle\n\\end{titlingpage}")

and try using the TITLE directive again. I'm surmising that this had
something to do with the roman page numbers, but maybe that's wrong?

HTH,
Nick