[Orgmode] Re: Org needs your vote

From: Ben Finney
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org needs your vote
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 10:31:47 +1100

Norbert Zeh <address@hidden> writes:

> IMO, the low rating of org-mode on this list shows that most people
> prefer flashy GUIs over extreme power, efficiency, and flexibility.

I disagree; I don't think people prefer “flashy GUIs” as you say. That
may play a part, but I believe it's only a small part in comparison to a
much larger issue:

Rather, people (in general, and beyond adolescence) prefer to avoid any
option presented which might involve the effort of learning something
new.

That is, if presented with a choice between using Word (which they've
already gone through the pain of learning), or learning a whole new
program, most adults will assume that the easiest option is to stick
with Word, or whatever existing program they've already learned that
appears to promise the ability to address their immediate need.

There won't be an assessment of “extreme power, efficiency, and
flexibility”; they're not looking for any of those, even though an
outside observer might realise they can benefit from them.

There'll only be an assessment of the perceived effort of “use Word,
which I know and in a pinch I can call on my friend for help”, versus
the perceived effort of “learn this unknown-to-me program, which nobody
in my circle of friends has even heard of”. Note that *actual* required
effort isn't what counts: only *perceived* effort can play a part in
that decision.

Merely being technically better isn't enough to win over anyone who
isn't already interested in learning something new. The technically
better option must *also* be perceptibly easy to learn to the point of
being productive quickly, and must perceptibly have a decent support
community. Otherwise, it won't even get a second glance by most people.

> Then again, that seems to be the general state in today's computing
> world.

When looked at from the above perspective, it's a state we don't have to
merely lament. We can *do* something about it; and the great part is we
don't have to change anything about Org mode itself to improve the
situation.

--
 \       “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death |
  `\     your right to say it.” —Evelyn Beatrice Hall, _The Friends of |