[Orgmode] Org and git blame integration?

From: Jason Dunsmore
Subject: [Orgmode] Org and git blame integration?
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 18:13:11 -0600

Hi,

I used to use state change logging (configured with "!" in
org-todo-keywords), but I didn't like the way it cluttered my org files
and I rarely referred to the logged times.

As an alternative, I found the git-blame utility to be useful for
finding out stuck projects and tasks in my Org files.  For example, the
following command will sort each line in an org file by the date it was
committed:

git blame todo.org|cut -c29-|cut -c 20-25 --complement|sort -n|less -S

I made a couple of bash functions based on this:

function org_history () {
    git blame $1|cut -c29-|cut -c 20-25 --complement|sort -n|less -S
}

# Limit the output to Org headlines
function org_history_headings () {
    git blame $1|grep ') \*'|cut -c29-|cut -c 20-25 --complement|sort -n|less -S
}

But I still have to go back and forth between the git-blame output and
Org.

It'd be nice if I could view and edit the git-blame output in org-mode,
group the sort by a certain level heading, cycle body visibility, etc...
I'm not sure how difficult that would be to implement.  Does this sound
like a reasonable feature request?

Regards,
Jason