[Orgmode] Re: [babel] Executing sh-code

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Executing sh-code
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:43:49 +0100

Hi Torsten,

Torsten Wagner wrote:
> I just tried quickly. I use org-babel with python, up to now never with
> shell scripting.

>> * Prerequisites
>>
>> #+begin_src sh :session ecm
>>     cd ~/Personal
>> #+end_src
>
> This works for me (I changed the folder name). There is a error line in my
> message buffer:
>
> executing Shell source code block
> ~/babel
> save-current-buffer: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil
>
> but the relevent part runs ok. My shell buffer depict to the new folder
> after execution:
>
> address@hidden ~ %
> cd ~/babel
> echo 'org_babel_sh_eoe'
> address@hidden ~ % cd ~/babel
> address@hidden ~/babel (git)-[master] %
>

> I used the same init like you
>
>> What am I doing wrong? Or have I set something wrong (or missing) in my
>> .emacs file?

>> (require 'org-babel-init)
>>
>> ;; activate a subset of languages
>> (require 'org-babel-R)
>> (require 'org-babel-sh)
>>
>> ;; make pre-built helper functions available
>> (org-babel-load-library-of-babel)
>
> However I didn't use the (org-babel-load-library-of-babel) function.

I removed it. No change.

> Which version of org-mode di you use ?

A version of somewhere last week.

> org-babel is young and change still heavily. I guess you have to use the
> latest git-version of org-mode.

Just did:

git pull
make clean
make

No change (after Emacs restart).

> Furthermore, does the shell iteself (M-x shell) work in emacs as desired ?

Yep.

Though, there is one blank line in front:

address@hidden ~>
                  ^ cursor blinking here

I don't know if that's worth mentionning...

Tried as well this change:

;; for single shell commands
(setq shell-file-name "zsh")

Same problem (after Emacs restart).

> Sorry not a big help at least a pointer that it should work...

Thanks anyway. It's helpful to know someone gets it working the same way (at
least, from a first observation).

Just note that the following works well:

#+begin_src sh
cd ~/Personal
ls *.org
#+end_src

#+results:
| "Bookmarks.org"                       |
| "Home.org"                            |
| "refile.org"                          |
| "Scorpios.org"                        |
| "Succession.org"                      |
| "Tickler.org"                         |
| "Using-startx-for-Remote-Display.org" |
| "Voice-over-IP.org"                   |

It stops working only when I add `:session "whatever"' after the `sh'
specification.

That's the only difference between when it works and when it doesn't.

Maybe this can help?

Best regards,
  Seb

--