Re: [Orgmode] Re: latex export and beamer columns

From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: latex export and beamer columns
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 16:54:06 -0300

Maybe a simpler notation could be used instead direct latex since we are talking
about official support for beamer in org-mode. For instance

,----
| * Teste beamer: This is a Section
| *** Teste beamer: This is a Subsection
| ***** This is the frame title
|       Frame content
|
| ***** This is the frame title of another frame
| #+\{0.4
|       - This is an item
|       - This is an item too
| #+\\0.6
|       - Another item
|       - Another one
|       - One more item
|         \note[item]{lala}
| #+\}
`----

The "#+\{" comment indicates the beginning of a columns environment and the
"0.4" the width (0.4\textwidth) of the first column. The "#+\\0.6" comment
creates another column and the "#+\}" comment closes the columns
environment. I'm not saying this is the best way, but IMHO this is better than
using #+latex commands directly, since beamer support in org-mode will be
official. Also, this will export nicely to standard latex and HTML. Using
"#+latex:" could cause problems when exporting to standard latex and using
headings as suggested in other E-mails here could me exporting to anything
different from beamer unnatural.

If this syntax or something similar is used, I'd like to request only two thinks
in addition:
  1) the items in the different columns should be exported to different
     itemize environments when exporting to standard latex (similarly to HTML).
If
     they are exported to the same environment it can be confusing.
  2) It would be nice if the width could be optional. If there are columns whose
     width is not specified then org could sum the widths that were specified
     and distribute the remaining among the columns whose width is not
     specified. For instance, in a frame with 3 columns I could specify the
     width of one column as 0.4 and leave the others unspecified. Org should
     then choose a width of 0.3 for the remaining two columns.

- Darlan Cavalcante