Re: [Orgmode] latex export and beamer columns

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] latex export and beamer columns
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:16:38 +0000

At Thu, 26 Nov 2009 00:25:21 +0100,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2009, at 7:03 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
> > Carsten,
> >
> > I am puzzled.  I can get this to work (and it works very well indeed)
> > but only if I set these variables through the customisation interface
> > in Emacs (custom-set-variables) and not if I setq them after loading
> > the packages as I normally do.  No other variables in org-mode give me
> > this behaviour.
> >
> > I haven't yet tried seeing if both variables have to be set through
> > custom-set-variables or only one of them but will try that later.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> I wrote in my reply that a restart of Emacs is necessary to make the
> work.
> The reason is that the information in these variables must be
> converted into  complicated regexp, and that only happens if you do it
> through customize
> (which sets the variable and then calls a hook to do the necessary
> updates),
> or if you set the variables in Lisp *before* org.el is loaded.
>
> The docstring of org-emphasis-alist says:
>
> "Use customize to modify this, or restart Emacs after changing it."
>
> If that is not clear enough, what should I write there?
>
> - Carsten

This is all perfectly clear: I did restart emacs (several times) after
putting in the setq commands to set those variables.

However, I guess the instructions you give are actually subtly
incorrect?  That is, from what you say above, using setq is not going
to work because that doesn't invoke any hooks for the particular
variables.  Therefore these variable must (?)  be set through
customize?  Or is there some way to invoke, automatically, the hooks
when setting a variable directly?  Probably not.

FYI, I am happy in principle to use customize but I don't use it in
general because I share my emacs configuration amongst a number of
machines and tend to use customize *only* for those variables that are
different on each system (e.g. only emacs 22 is available on my
internet table).  This makes it easy to have an almost consistent
environment regardless of the system I'm using.

Anyway, thanks again: using @text@ now works very nicely both in org
mode and in the export!

eric