Re: [Orgmode] mobile org capable devices

From: Richard Moreland
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] mobile org capable devices
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:41:10 -0500

Hi Rustom,

On Nov 24, 2009, at 2:16 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am interested in using mobile org.
> I currently use an ancient nokia phone because I was never sure what
> feature set I wanted.
> Mobileorg may well be the app that pushes me to upgrade  but to what??

As you saw, MobileOrg is limited to iPhone/iPod Touch.  There has been some
stirring to look into an Android version, but nothing has come of that yet.

Other folks are running Emacs either natively on their phones or ssh'ing into a
remote host and running Emacs.  I can't speak to the effectiveness of this,
having not tried it myself, but the recent speed keys support in Org has
apparently made this a bit more usable.

> The mobileorg site seems to say that this works for iphones - period
> Whereas the org-mobile.el has the following comment
> ;; The code is not specific for the iPhone, however.
> ;; Any external viewer/flagging/editing application that uses the same
> ;; conventions could be used
> It would be nice to list somewhere ein more or less generic terms what
> kind of phones can sync with mobileorg

This code is meant to be reused when an app similar to MobileOrg is built on
another platform.  The new author can reuse the Emacs integration code
(org-mobile-*) that Carsten wrote.  His goal was to write that once, not once
per mobile application that springs up.

Hope this helps,
Richard