Re: [Orgmode] latex export and beamer columns

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] latex export and beamer columns
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:36:22 +0000

At Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:55:11 +0100,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

[...]

> > 2. it would be nice to support the block environment in beamer.
>
> The problem I see here is that one might want to have blocks inside
> a column, and maybe columns inside blocks.  Is both
> allowed/practical/often-used?

I must admit that I have never tried columns within a block although I
guess this should work.  My view of blocks is that they are meant to
highlight a particular idea or concept and therefore I tend to have
small amounts of text or images within a block but, of course, others
may have different views on this.

[...]

> >  <1-> item to display from first virtual "slide" onwards
> >  <2-3> display on second and third views of the slide
> >  <-4> display up to 4th view
> >
> >  which would translate to
> >
> >  \begin{itemize}
> >  \item<1-> item to display from first virtual "slide" onwards
> >  \item<2-3> display on second and third views of the slide
> >  \item<-4> display up to 4th view
> >  \end{itemize}
> >
> >  I have no idea how hard it would be to incorporate this into the
> >  current list handling however... although I can imagine it could be
> >  quite difficult.
>
> I think you can just write
>
>   - <1-> item to display from first virtual "slide" onwards
>   - <2-3> display on second and third views of the slide
>   - <-4> display up to 4th view
>
> Beamer seems to allow a space between \item and the animation
> specification.  But maybe we should allow the itemize environment
> to be fitted with the cookie to invoke default animation...

D'oh!  Of course.  Works like a charm!

[...]

> > Yes, beamer provides a very nice handout mode (option "handout" to the
> > beamer document class).
>

> Is there also a way to add lots of additional text?  Text that will not
> show up in the slides, but which will show up when creating handouts
> or a different output mode?  For example, it could be nice to
> create the slides and the syllabus from the same document...

You can specify, for specific frames, whether they should appear or
not in either beamer or handout modes and you can in fact specify
which parts of a frame (using visibility modifiers) will appear in
either case (although I must admit that I've never actually got this
to work properly despite following the beamer documentation).

Although it would indeed be nice to produce the slides and the
syllabus from the same document, I am not sure how to do this in
beamer, much less in org-mode!

> > I look forward to seeing what you come up with!  I'm happy to send you
> > examples of both beamer and org-mode->beamer that I have prepared for
> > seminars and teaching.  Let me know.
>
> Yes, please do that, it is always useful to look at a real world
> example.

I'll send you some examples off list as I don't necessarily want them
disseminated widely.

Thanks,
eric