Re: [Orgmode] latex export and beamer columns

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] latex export and beamer columns
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 15:15:14 +0000

> At Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:34:18 +0100,
> Carsten Dominik wrote:

> > Anything missing in Org that we should implement to support this
> > better?

Actually, going through the set of lectures I am currently preparing,
I am finding that there is one thing missing that I haven't needed
before in latex export: the ability to centre a figure without having
to use a float environment.

Back in September, early October, there was a thread about image
placement in latex export:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/18174/

There was a number of use cases discussed: inline placement versus
float placement.  There is one use case missing, one that is
particularly useful for presentations, although not often necessary
for articles say, namely a figure centred on a line without a caption
and without floating.  This seemed to be present at some point in the
past but has disappeared, unless I have misunderstood the state of
play...

Basically, I would like to do something like:

,----
|   In a double pipe heat exchanger,
|
|   [[file:images/double-pipe-heat-exchanger.png]]
|
|   the heat transfer etc. ad nauseum...
`----

and have that figure centred on the line instead of left aligned as it
would currently appear.

If I add a #+label: the image does appear centred but as this is done
by using a latex figure environment, a Figure: caption (empty) is
added which isn't particularly useful in this case!

There *is* a solution, but it's a bit messy, e.g.:

,----

| \hfill
| #+attr_latex: width=0.6\textwidth
| [[file:images/double-pipe-heat-exchanger.png]]
| \hspace*{\fill} \\

`----

By the way, an \hfill at the end is not sufficient to centre the image.

I have no solution to propose for incorporating something like this
into org-mode other than possibly making use of a placement=centre
(oops, center if you prefer american spelling) option on attr_latex
which would put the includegraphics within a \centerline or \centering
environment.

Thanks,
eric