Re: [Orgmode] Speed commands (was: Release 6.33)

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Speed commands (was: Release 6.33)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:09:21 +0000

At Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:57:09 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2009, at 3:35 PM, Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:
> > How about having an alternative keymap with vi-like moving keys? I
> > hardly ever use the C-b, C-f, C-n, C-p in my regular emacs work
> > (mostly cursor keys) and so I'm actually more comfortable with using
> > vi movement.
>
> I don't understand what you are proposing here.

vi uses the home row keys (hjkl) for movement (left, down, up, right)
and it's something those of us weaned on vi (30 years ago in my case)
have a natural affinity for.  I think Friedrich is proposing having
'j' instead of 'f' or 'n', 'k' instead of 'b' or 'p' for speed keys
for motion (but am not sure whether 'h' and 'l' should be mapped to
anything in particular).  In fact, using viper mode with org-mode
gives you this and works quite well overall but viper mode carries
some unnecessary baggage.

However, I would suggest that he can simply re-bind his speed keys.
It's not really a suggestion for new functionality, I guess, unlike
the other examples he gave (some of which were very appealing).