Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export of section links

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export of section links
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:13:20 +0100

Hi Francesco,

On Nov 20, 2009, at 12:34 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

Hi,

I have a few questions about links to sections.

I've read that it is better to user IDs and CUSTOM_IDs to links to section...

Here's a small example with 4 cases:

* First
 :PROPERTIES:
 :CUSTOM_ID: heading-a
 :END:

 Hello Toto!

* Second
# <<heading-b>>

 Hello Tata!

* Third
#+CUSTOM_ID: heading-c

 Hello Titi!

* Fourth
#+ID: heading-d

 Hello Tete!

[[heading-a]]
[[heading-b]]
[[heading-c]]
[[heading-d]]

Which give the following LaTeX code:

\section{First}
\label{sec-1}
\label{heading-a}

 Hello Toto!

\section{Second}
\label{sec-2}
\label{heading-b}

 Hello Tata!

\section{Third}
\label{sec-3}

 Hello Titi!

\section{Fourth}
\label{sec-4}

 Hello Tete!

\hyperref[sec-1]{heading-a}
\hyperref[sec-2]{heading-b}
\hyperref[sec-3]{heading-c}
\hyperref[sec-4]{heading-d}

The first and second cases both generate labels which are not used in LaTeX.

There is no harm in defining labels that are not used.

The third and fourth cases are very elegant as they use only aliases (which
are dropped from the LaTeX code).

Third and forth are non-existent syntax in Org, these lines are just treated as comments and are removed during export.

My questions are:

- what's the difference between using ID and CUSTOM_ID?

Custom ID is human-readable, ID is usually a sha1 hash.  ID's have
the advantage that in HTML, they can link from one file to another
one.

- the cases "Third" and "Fourth" are the more elegant from my point of view.
 Is this the right way of doing?

No, see above

- what's the difference between cases "First" and "Second" (I mean between
 using PROPERTIES and # <<X>>)?

Only in the way that the property might be conceived as cleaner - but this
is really a matter of taste at this point.

- in the documentation (section 4.2), we talk about "CUSTOM_ID property" does
 it mean that we should use it as in case 1?

Yes.

HTH

- Carsten