Re: [Orgmode] adding new protocol handler in firefox

From: Robin Green
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] adding new protocol handler in firefox
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:43:26 +0000

At Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:09:21 +0100,
Sebastian Rose wrote:
> Well, anyway, editing RDF files by hand is not the way to go.

Indeed. This was the method that worked for me (thanks to "goncheff"
for discovering it):

1. In about:config, create a boolean key
"network.protocol-handler.expose.org-protocol" and set it to False
2. Create a simple web page containing a link to the URL org-protocol://test
3. Open the web page you just created
4. Click on the link
5. Choose emacsclient as the associated application in the dialog box
that appears

and no other method worked (although I didn't know about the "edit the RDF
file" method).

It isn't, of course, necessary to create a web page - you can use an
existing one with such a link - but it *is* necessary to click on a
link in a web page - selecting a bookmarklet no longer works in the
latest Firefox release, at least on Ubuntu 9.10 and on Mac OS X, and
probably elsewhere too.

-- cut here --

I guess I should create a patch to worg to include the above
instructions for newer versions of Firefox. Unless people think the
RDF editing method is better?

> Instead, we should link to descriptions on how install the handlers
> system wide.

Nice idea, but unfortunately on Linux (as far as I know) there is no
standard way to do that.
--
Robin