[Orgmode] Re: Sending org-mode nodes

From: lukasz . stelmach
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Sending org-mode nodes
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:20:53 +0100

David Maus <address@hidden> writes:

> At Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:46:43 +0100,
> address@hidden wrote:
>> I've just made a note which I would like to send (with its attachment)
>> via email. Is it possible? I mean, I would like to select a node (C-c @)
>> and then few keystrokes more and have the letter sent or at least opened
>> in a mail composing window with the subject set to the title of the
>> note, attachments attached and waiting for me to choose an addressee.
>
> It *should* be possible but as far as I am aware of there's currently
> no implementation for this. As Orgmode does not depend on any
> particular email program this would require a particular function for
> every supported mail program. I.e. a function that executes the right
> things to let the mail program compose a new mail.

I suppuse that by writing "program" you mean Emacs' compose-mail, gnus
etc. External handler of course, would be useful too.

> Hum. As I tend to write important mails first below a corresponding
> todo headline, than copy'n'paste it such functionality could be
> useful.
>
> I suppose the first thing to do is brewing a function that scrapes all
> relevant information (i.e.: subject, content, attachments) and returns
> a property list that can be used by mua specific functions to call the
> mua and instruct it to create the mail.
>
> What about:
>
>   - Subject: current entries headline without todo keyword and tags

OK, however, inclusion of todo and/or tags should be optional and
possible for those who would like to exchange those information with one
another. Converting those to iCal attachment is yet another issue.

>   - Body: the entries content up to the next headline w/o drawers and
>     schedule/deadline

Fine but the above note applies.

>   - Attachments: full path to the entry's attachments

That's right and in case of compose-mail/gnus and whatever else a letter
with files attached should appear.

Later at home I thought about it some more:

    - The To, Cc and Bcc headers read from :PROPERTIES: or collected
      with minibuffer.

    - Sent-To field in the PROPERTIES drawer filed after sending
      mail. This might require collecting addresses from within org-mode
      before invoking mail program (the above).

    - Move the list from Sent-To to Old-Sent-To everytime the node or
      its child or its attachment changes (this might be quite difficult
      to implement but awesome to have)

    - Custom mail headers to include in the PROPERTIES drawer. Something
      like
      :PROPERTIES:
      :MailHeader-X-Face: l;aksjdf;ioavh9p8qrty9
      :END
      would result in X-Face: in the mail. X-Face, however, would
      probably be configured with a mua but I am sure someone will find
      it useful.

    - Message-ID derived from node's ID. This would be quite useful for
      associating replies with original notes/nodes.

These are of course my whishful thoughts, especially the one with
Old-Sent-To. I think, however, that org-mode with them implemented would
be even greater tool than it is today.

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach