Re: [Orgmode] Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:43:55 +0100

Greg Newman <address@hidden> writes:
> On my calibrated monitor that's fine for readability
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Sebastian Rose <address@hidden>wrote:

My monitor is not calibrated, but I see all the 1's on
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/572427/display/3843090 so the
contrast is good enough.

I just installed lprof and tried to improve the calibration of my
monitor (which I never had problems with, BTW). But I couldn't enter the
monitor values for "Weißpunkt" (`white point' ???) and "Grundfarben"
(`basic colors' ??), because I did not know what to enter there. "Set
Gamma and Black Point" seems not to work correct (according to photos I
see on the net like the one mentioned above). When I load a photo for
Scanner calibration, the image is distorted - so I don't really know why
to trust that program => uninstalled it again.

There are other programs for calibration, but I don't have colorimeter
at hand. And I don't know anyone who owns such a thing.

I don't know many people, who use calibrated monitors by the way. Just a
few people doing graphics - and even they don't own a colorimeter.

It is a tiny little bit better with bigger fonts (in Opera I see heavier
font - in FF the Courier font is very light - might be a bug), or.

I think we should make it readable for everyone, right? And we should
make as close to the optimum as possible.

Here is what I see on  flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/address@hidden/4109090241/in/set-72157622816907722/

I see this lack of contrast on different hardware, too:

  - Lenovo 500 + Ubuntu 9.04/Windows Vista Business,
  - IYAMA 4 years old attached to a P4 with Debian and NVIDIA driver