[Orgmode] Re: DiTAA graph not in local directory

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: DiTAA graph not in local directory
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:01:34 +0100

Hi Bernt,

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban writes:
>> Carsten wrote:

>> I have, since long, the following chunk in my `.emacs', for setting the
>> `default-directory':

>> ;; change the default directory (if it exists)
>> ;; (it is also the default directory when attaching files to mails)
>> (let ((my-default-directory "~/"))
>>   (setq default-directory
>>         (if (file-directory-p my-default-directory)
>>             my-default-directory
>>           (getenv "HOME"))))
>
> I think this function is the cause of your problems.  I think you are
> changing the default directory for whatever buffer is active when you
> execute that.  If that buffer happens to be the org file you want to
> export you are changing where the resulting export files go.

I commented the above in my `.emacs' file and restarted Emacs.

>> Anyway, I don't remember exactly why I did set that, but I think it's for
>> easy
>> opening of files (right prefix when `C-x C-f').
>
> I just use C-x C-f ~/
>
> and whatever current directory was active is dropped.  I don't think you
> need your setq default-directory at all - you just need to teach your
> fingers to add ~/ after C-x C-f

Yes, I'll do that now... In fact, I implemented this, years ago, for "easily"
attaching documents to emails.

>> When looking for the current value of that variable

I now have:

default-directory is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is
"/home/sva/Projects/Insurance/Acme/docs/operations-manual/"
Local in buffer Upload_documentation.tex; global value is nil

  Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
  This variable is safe as a file local variable if its value
  satisfies the predicate `stringp'.

Documentation:
Name of default directory of current buffer.  Should end with slash.
To interactively change the default directory, use command `cd'.

from both the Org file and the TeX file. Correct, thus.

Though, I have exactly the same problem as yesterday: only the TeX file is
produced locally when `C-c C-e d', and all the other files (.aux, .log and the
.png from Ditaa) are stored in `~/'.

Ununderstandable...

Best regards,
  Seb