Re: [Orgmode][babel] noweb does not work (as expected)

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [Orgmode][babel] noweb does not work (as expected)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:51:39 +0900

Hi Dan
> Important: The only version of org-babel that's intended for users is
> the version in current org-mode. I.e. the current master branch of
> Carsten's org-mode repository. The other repository (the babel repo) is
> for development only. Any stable improvements in there are rapidly
> merged into Carsten's repo.

O.k. thanks for the clarification. I started using babel-git since in an older
thread someone refereed that the functionality is no in a branch of babel-git.
I did not know that you merge quickly with Carstens org-mode git.

Depending on the speed of merging, you might like to use tags in babel-git
signaling at which commit you merged org-babel back to org-mode. Then people
can quickly run a git diff to see if the particular change they are looking for
is already in merged to org-mode or not.

> I think the main point is that the current set up means that org-mode
> and org-babel share a common history of commits. My current idea of git
> submodules is that I would include something as a submodule when it is a
> module that gets used by multiple different projects...

As far as I understand git submodules (but I never get in real use to them
yet) they can be considered as a part of a project which keeps it own history.
If that is right it might be perfect for org-mode and org-babel. You can
develop on top of the org-mode git and does not cluttering the history of org-
mode git.
However, as far as I read there are some potential flaws which, if used wrong,
can create some serious problems.

Many thanks for helping me so fare

Torsten