[Orgmode] Re: repetitive activity over a period of time, starting at the

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: repetitive activity over a period of time, starting at the same time each day
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:37:28 -0500

Crni Gorac <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Matt Lundin <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Crni Gorac <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> How to specify a time interval for a TODO that will say span over two
>>> weeks, working days only, and that will start each day at 10am.  I
>>> tried with timestamps available in org-mode, as well as with Emacs
>>> diary timestamps, but to no avail.  Any suggestion?
>>>

>> You could use a diary sexp:

>> * 10:00am Every weekday for two weeks
>> <%%(and (memq (calendar-day-of-week date) '(1 2 3 4 5)) (diary-block 11 9
>> 2009 11 20 2009))>
>>
>> - Matt
>>

> Thanks Matt, this is almost there; however, if this is a TODO item,
> and if I mark it done, than it's marked done once and for all, and not
> only for given day, like org-mode timestamps with repeater interval.
> Any further suggestions here?

Ah. I see. I don't think there's any way make an item with a diary sexp
behave like a recurring timestamp. I think the best solution here would
be to create multiple items w/ todos, as Stephan suggested in his post.

> Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems very strange to me that a need for alike
> timestamps was not recognized in org-mode - for example, how would one
> build a TODO item for something like a class spanning say over two
> months and with class hours say Mon and Wed between 10am and 11am?

I imagine one way to do this would be to create two items with repeating
timestamps:

* TODO 10:00am Class
  SCHEDULED: <2009-11-09 Mon +1w>
* TODO 10:00am Class
  SCHEDULED: <2009-11-11 Wed +1w>

> Also, is this placing time at the start of item, and having it
> recognized when agenda view built some kind of special syntax?  I
> wasn't able to find it mentioned in org-mode documentation...

I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure where it's documented. But org-mode
does scan the headline for time of day information.

Best,
Matt