Re: [Orgmode] What is output for org-babel?

From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] What is output for org-babel?
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:26:13 -0300

COmments are inline.

At Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:17:39 +0000 (UTC),
andrea Crotti <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm with org-mode 6.31a, I was trying to
> get output in the exported files but I never see the output.
>
> So I investigate and for example this
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python
> import os; os.listdir(os.getcwd())
> #+END_SRC

This does not return anything for me either, but
#+BEGIN_SRC python
import os
os.listdir(os.getcwd())
#+END_SRC
works as expected. This is strange, since "import os; os.listdir(os.getcwd())"
is valid and will work if typed in the python interpreter directly.

> doesn't return any output while this
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python
> "hello"
> #+END_SRC
>
> does and this:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python
> return "hello"
> #+END_SRC
> Again doesn't.

I don't think this is suppose to work. As I understand org-babel send this code
to python without any processing but you are not inside a python
function. Therefore this is as if you have typed 'return "hello"' in the
interpreter and it will result in an error. That's why no output is shown.
Change "#+BEGIN_SRC python" to "#+BEGIN_SRC python :results output" and you will
see the error.

However, if the code is sent to the python interpreter as it is, then it bugs me
why "import os; os.listdir(os.getcwd())" didn't work.

- Darlan