Re: [Orgmode] org-show-effort ideas

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-show-effort ideas
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 12:11:38 +0000

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 07:47:48AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2009, at 2:49 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
>
> >I wanted an easy way to see an effort estimate when not in column
> >view, so I wrote this:
> >
> >(defun org-show-effort ()
> >"Shows the effort of the entry at the current point."
> >(interactive)
> >(let ((effort (org-entry-get (point) org-effort-property)))
> > (message (if effort (format "Effort is %s" effort)
> >            "No effort defined"))))
> >
> >However it would be nice to have a keystroke that would do this in
> >agenda view.  Another nice touch would be to change 'e' which
> >currently allows you to edit the effort from agenda view, so that the
> >prompt for the new value shows the existing effort estimate if there
> >is one.
>
> Admit it: you did not try this :-
>
> The prompt of "e" already does to this, and when you reply
> with RET, the same value stays.  I guess this might be good enough
> for showing the effort as well?  Otherwise:  Propose a key!

I definitely did try it, and I just did another 'git pull' and tried
again, and I still don't see it, so I guess we're talking about
different things ;-)

To clarify, I'm referring to showing effort via a single keystroke
when on a todo line in the *Org Agenda* buffer.  Currently, when I hit
"e" on a todo which has an existing "Effort" property value set, my
minibuffer prompt shows "Value: ".  The same applies with C-c C-x e in
a normal .org file buffer.

The only free single keystroke I could find is ' which actually has a
reasonable mnemonic: imagine a contractor providing you with a quote
estimating the effort for a task.