[Orgmode] [OT] lisp func to write timestamp to buffer

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: [Orgmode] [OT] lisp func to write timestamp to buffer
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:29:06 -0600

Hello list,

Org uses a timestamp format like the following across all its functionality:

[2009-10-29 Thu 17:14]

I would like to be able to ouput this string whenever I'd like to a buffer, with the current timestamp, this is useful for example to timestamp notes inside an org file arbitrarily:

* [2009-10-29 Thu 17:14
 Bla Bla Bla

How could I do that? I searched for such function with apropos but couldn't find anything that fits.

Thanks,

Marcelo.