Re: [Orgmode] Differences html/pdf

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Differences html/pdf
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:20:46 +0100

On Oct 28, 2009, at 11:23 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

In the latex version they're not exported for some reasons...

That is correct, we have not implemented keeping all line breaks in
LaTeX.

I've searched around a bit, and to my big surprise, I cannot find a
LaTeX package preserving line breaks.  I understand such a function
doesn't come along nicely with the general LaTeX philosophy, but it
should be possible after all...

Did anyone already tried to find such a package ?

Not a package, but there is \obeylines (plain TeX) that will
preserve line breaks - e.g. Knuth[1] suggests that it be used for
typesetting poetry:

{\obeylines\smallskip
Roses are red,
\quad Violets are blue;
Rhymes can be typeset
\quad with boxes and glue.
\smallskip}

It apparently works by pretending that the newline is a \par token.

OK, this is pretty good, and I have added it to be inserted
as a consequence of setting org-export-preserve-breaks.  But I
believe in complex documents there might be problems, so I would
be interested in test results.  Only then we will decide if this
should stay in.

- Carsten