Re: [Orgmode] getting Firefox tabs into org on a mac

From: Andreas Burtzlaff
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] getting Firefox tabs into org on a mac
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 00:42:21 +0200

Hi Samuel,

thanks for taking the time to report your findings and ideas.

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:31:32 -0700
Samuel Wales <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 01:12, Andreas Burtzlaff <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I will add an entry to the tab context menu tonight to do this in one
> > step.
>
> Thanks, kind of you.
>
> > Concerning syncing I'm not sure I get your plan entirely. Is the main
> > purpose of it to synchronize the tabs between different browsers?
>
> Yes, that would be nice.  Also, you don't want to save a
> duplicate of the same tab.

So this is a special case of having a list/tree of bookmarks
sychronized between Org, Firefox and other browsers.
It needs communication from Emacs to the browser plugin, which I had
working once. I'll try to revive that code when I get time.

> It might be useful to have more than one remember template:
> one for saving all tabs and one for saving one tab.

In the updated documentation take a look at the option
"List of characters specifying available remember templates".

> Another
> idea is to have a button on the status line that you can
> left click on to remember one tab.

Ok, that would save one click at the expense of the
status bar's cleaness. Would the middle mouse button do?

> Apparent bugs and suggestions follow.  (Others not
> developing Fireforg need not read.)
>
> ===
>
> There was a setting that I didn't understand having to do
> with using DOI.  Perhaps how this works can be explained.
> Does it use the net?  You might want to mention that it
> stands for digital object identifier.

It searches for a Digital Object Identifier in the hmtl code of the
site shown. If "Prefetch links to extract" is enabled, it does so also
for all links in a website after it is loaded.
I've updated the documentation.

> I had to change head -1 to head -n 1 in the pull script to
> fix an error in head.  head is /sw/bin/head, perhaps from
> some fink or macports package.

That's fixed, thanks.

> Perhaps the error messages in emacs and ff can explain what
> you need to do to fix them.  Also, perhaps common
> non-working states can be checked for.  That would make it
> easier.
>
> I used your suggested template:
>
>   ("fireforg" ?w  "* %:description \n %:link %!")
>
> Sometimes, nothing happens.  Other times, emacs opens a
> buffer that is blank.  It expects you to do c-x # to finish
> the buffer.  Currently nothing is happening, so I can't
> describe that one more fully.
>
> At one point I got this error message.
>
>   error in process filter: Setting current directory: no such
>   file or directory,
>   /Users/.../fireforg/org-protocol:/remember:/http%3A%2F%2F...

That all is a symptom of org-protocol not having been initialized.

> It might be nice to document whether any of the options will
> slow Firefox or Emacs down.  (Even if none of them do.)

Yes, done that.

> I noticed that the Read It Later extension no longer has a
> button.  Might be a coincidence.

I can't reproduce this with either order of installation. If this
persists could you please check whether there are any errors in
"Tools"->"Error console" concerning either of the plugins?

> Perhaps giving git instructions would make it easier to dl
> the .sh, .xpi, and .el all at once.  "git clone
> http://repo.or.cz/w/org-fireforg.git"; did not work.
> (Something about corruption; I don't have the output now.)

git clone http://repo.or.cz/r/org-fireforg.git

The directory "w" shows the website for the project.

 -- Andreas