Re: [Orgmode] getting Firefox tabs into org on a mac

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] getting Firefox tabs into org on a mac
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:31:32 -0700

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 01:12, Andreas Burtzlaff <address@hidden> wrote:
> I will add an entry to the tab context menu tonight to do this in one
> step.

Thanks, kind of you.

> Concerning syncing I'm not sure I get your plan entirely. Is the main
> purpose of it to synchronize the tabs between different browsers?

Yes, that would be nice.  Also, you don't want to save a
duplicate of the same tab.

It might be useful to have more than one remember template:
one for saving all tabs and one for saving one tab.  Another
idea is to have a button on the status line that you can
left click on to remember one tab.

Apparent bugs and suggestions follow.  (Others not
developing Fireforg need not read.)

===

There was a setting that I didn't understand having to do
with using DOI.  Perhaps how this works can be explained.
Does it use the net?  You might want to mention that it
stands for digital object identifier.

I had to change head -1 to head -n 1 in the pull script to
fix an error in head.  head is /sw/bin/head, perhaps from
some fink or macports package.

Perhaps the error messages in emacs and ff can explain what
you need to do to fix them.  Also, perhaps common
non-working states can be checked for.  That would make it
easier.

I used your suggested template:

  ("fireforg" ?w  "* %:description \n %:link %!")

Sometimes, nothing happens.  Other times, emacs opens a
buffer that is blank.  It expects you to do c-x # to finish
the buffer.  Currently nothing is happening, so I can't
describe that one more fully.

At one point I got this error message.

  error in process filter: Setting current directory: no such
  file or directory,
  /Users/.../fireforg/org-protocol:/remember:/http%3A%2F%2F...

It might be nice to document whether any of the options will
slow Firefox or Emacs down.  (Even if none of them do.)

I noticed that the Read It Later extension no longer has a
button.  Might be a coincidence.

Perhaps giving git instructions would make it easier to dl
the .sh, .xpi, and .el all at once.  "git clone
http://repo.or.cz/w/org-fireforg.git"; did not work.
(Something about corruption; I don't have the output now.)

That is all the bug reporting I can do.  I will have to stop
trying to get Fireforg to work.  I cannot make further
attempts as debugging requires far too much physical use of
keyboard and mouse.

Thanks.