Re: [babel][Orgmode] Subtree exporting to different LaTeX_CLASS

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [babel][Orgmode] Subtree exporting to different LaTeX_CLASS
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:13:43 -1000

Hi Jerry,

I do this using org-babel.  I love being able to write my article *and* my beamer presentation in the same file.  Using the literate programming facility of org-babel, I'm able to write them each in pieces, then assemble them at the end for tangling and export.  This means I have to write real LaTeX and beamer code, rather than having the LaTeX export facility of org-mode do its work, but org-mode makes this easy with Ctrl-C ', which opens up the source block in a buffer where auctex and reftex are active.

It looks something like this:

#+srcname: latex-preamble
#+begin_src latex :exports none
\documentclass{article}
\author{A. N. Author}
\title{Article Title}
\newcommand{\attr}[1]{\textbf{#1}}

\begin{document}

\maketitle
#+end_src

#+srcname: beamer-preamble
#+begin_src latex :exports none
\documentclass{beamer}
... (lots of stuff here)
\begin{document}

\maketitle

#+end_src

#+srcname: latex-document
#+begin_src latex :tangle adz_print.tex :exports none
  % <<latex-preamble>>
  % <<latex-introduction>
  \end{document}
#+end_src

#+srcname: beamer-document
#+begin_src latex :tangle adz_beamer.tex :exports none
  % <<beamer-preamble>>
  % <<beamer-introduction>>
  \end{document}
#+end_src

Calling org-babel-tangle gives me adz_print.tex for my article and adz_beamer.tex for my beamer presentation.

There are probably other ways to achieve this (org-mode, you know) that might be simpler.

The text I write outside the source blocks tracks what I hope to achieve, decisions I've made, etc. and uses the export facilities of org-mode to create a user manual for my employees.  Right now I'm targeting html for the user manual, but LaTeX export would also work.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D.
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.
Phone: (808) 529-0866 Fax: (808) 529-0884