Re: [Orgmode] getting Firefox tabs into org on a mac

From: Andreas Burtzlaff
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] getting Firefox tabs into org on a mac
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 02:00:07 +0200

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:12:42 +0200
Andreas Burtzlaff <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:40:54 -0700
> Samuel Wales <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I have a huge number of Firefox tabs that I want to get into
> > org.  Figuring out how has gotten complicated, despite good
> > documentation out there.
> >
> > I want simply title and url for each tab.
> >
> > Maybe like this:
> >
> >   * Firefox tabs
> >     * Public Git Hosting - Worg.git/summary
> >   http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git
> >     * Google Search
> >   http://www.google.com
> >
> > Would be nice to get fancier by allowing annotations (for
> > use by fireforg?).  And allowing syncing back and forth.
> > But first, I just want to get started.
> >
> > I envision two ways of doing this.  Maybe there are more.
> >
> >   1) Have emacs or a script convert one of the folders in
> >      the bookmark file to an org outline as above.
> >   2) Have org-mac-protocol set up for individual tabs to be
> >      clicked to get them remembered.
> >
> > If I do (2), then I'd want it to be easy.  That is, without
> > having to switch from mouse to keyboard.  But does (2) work
> > on a Mac?  Last I heard, org-mac-protocol works for Safari,
> > but not Firefox.
>
> Fireforg has a workaround for Macs:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-devel.php#sec-1.2.6
>
> So you could select the tabs one after another and trigger remember
> from the Fireforg status bar menu. (This menu is accessible by right
> clicking on the status bar entry.)
>
> I will add an entry to the tab context menu tonight to do this in one
> step.

With the latest version it is possible to pass all tabs to remember
by selecting "All tabs"-> "remember (..)" in the status bar menu.
This only makes sense when using a remember template that stores the
note automatically ("%!" in the template string).

Your proposed format would be:
"* %:description \n %:link %!"

If the mac workaround is enabled and the latest version of pull.sh is used, then
this should also work on a Mac.

Andreas