Re: [Orgmode] Extracting agenda information: what encoding?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Extracting agenda information: what encoding?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:53:29 +0200

Hi Dave,

On Oct 12, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Dave Milter wrote:

On 10/12/09, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

On Oct 12, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Dave Milter wrote:

On 10/12/09, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi DAve,

I have little knowledge about coding systems myself.

Could you please let me know, what if the value of `buffer-file-
coding-
system' in an agenda buffer, when you create the agenda by hand?

I ran org-agenda in emacs, then press "a", and
chose in menu "Describe coding system", and got:

Coding system for saving this buffer:
Not set locally, use the default.
Default coding system (for new files):
U -- utf-8-unix (alias: mule-utf-8-unix)

Could you please do   `C-h v buffer-file-coding-system RET'
Just to be sure that we are talking about the same thing.

buffer-file-coding-system is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is utf-8-unix

Also, could you try to run with the following in .emacs, to see
if the problem disappears?

    (eval-after-load "org-agenda"
      '(defun org-encode-for-stdout (s) s))

yes, this fix problem,

may be you be so kind and explain magic?

Before printing to STDOUT, I process text in this way

(defun org-encode-for-stdout (string)
  (if (fboundp 'encode-coding-string)
      (encode-coding-string string buffer-file-coding-system)
    string))

This is done in the good intention that this is necessary
to produce the text in the correct encoding.  The code I sent
you in my last mail just replaces this function with a dummy
no-operation function, to skip this encoding step.  Apparently,
at least in your case, this does more harm than good, and frankly,
I am not sure it ever does anything good.  Maybe I implemented this
because a mule-Emacs produced bad output in this way.

I will change it to make the default behavior work for you, and then see
if anyone comes back and complains... :-)

So if you pull again from git, this should work without the snippet in .emacs.

- Carsten