Re: [Orgmode] "clearing" the state of an org-mode subtree

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] "clearing" the state of an org-mode subtree
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:47:59 -0500

Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
> org-mode files are plain text. M-% to do a replacement: once you've
> entered your search term and its replacement, hit ! to replace all
> without question.

Yes, one can do this, but note that it's not entirely a no-brainer.  You
need to:

1.  clear all the check boxes and then recompute all checkbox counts in
the region.  [this isn't a simple tag replacement]

2.  replace all non-TODO keywords with TODO.  This is a replacement, but
not a simple one to do with M-%

3.  Wipe out all of the notes that were added with state changes.
Again, this can be done with a replacement command, but it's not a
trivial one.

This is one of those cases where automating a task will not pay back the
investment (at least not to me, individually), so I think I'd better
just do it by hand.

Thanks, everyone,