Re: [Orgmode] Re: Tagging a region of text without creating a branch

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Tagging a region of text without creating a branch
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 19:45:11 +0200

On Oct 9, 2009, at 4:05 PM, bar tomas wrote:

Thanks very much for your reply and your help.
I also think in terms of containers, but I was trying to figure out if
it is possible to have a container that has both subcontainers and
content that is not contained in a subcontainer.
For instance, in XML, this is the notion of an element with 'mixed
content'(subelements+character content). For example:

<item1 priority='A' >
general stuff  about item1
<subItem1> about subItem1 </subItem1>
more general stuff about item1
</item1>

I suppose, this kind of structure is not possible in orgmode?
you'd have to create 'artificial' subheadings:

This type of structure is indeed not possible in a strict outline.
However, inline tasks have been created exactly for the purpose
of working around this restriction.

The idea is to make it possible to define a task right
in the middle of a flow of text.  You can actually have some
content in such a container as well:

* a headline item1
general stuff  about item1
****************** subitem1
   Everything in here belongs to subitem one
****************** END
but here we go on about item one again.

You can achieve a similar structure in org with plain lists:

* a headline item1
  general stuff  about item1
   - subitem1
     Everything in here belongs to subitem one
     and another line
  but here we go on about item one again.

So the structure is right.  However, plain list items do not allow
tags, todo states and all that.  Inlinetasks are a hack to make
this possible.

Matt: Inline tasks are now always exported, the variable
      org-inlinetask-export is obsolete.  Export will look like
      a description list item - in fact, the export uses internally
      description lists.

Hope that this, in connection with all the other answers, will
make it clear.

- Carsten