Re: [Orgmode] Re: Tagging a region of text without creating a branch

From: Stephan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Tagging a region of text without creating a branch
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 16:43:45 +0200

bar tomas wrote:
Thanks very much for your reply and your help.
I also think in terms of containers, but I was trying to figure out if
it is possible to have a container that has both subcontainers and
content that is not contained in a subcontainer.
For instance, in XML, this is the notion of an element with 'mixed
content'(subelements+character content). For example:

<item1 priority='A' >
general stuff  about item1
<subItem1> about subItem1 </subItem1>
more general stuff about item1
</item1>

I suppose, this kind of structure is not possible in orgmode?
you'd have to create 'artificial' subheadings:

* item1 [#A]
** general stuff item1
general stuff  about item1
**subItem1
about subItem1
** general stuff item1
more general stuff about item1

So, a container in orgmode can have either subcontainers or text but
not a mixture of both? Is this right?

To be exact, a heading (container) can have both text and subheadings (subcontainers), but the subheadings have to follow the text. You can't close a subheading and go back to the previous outline level without a new heading. I guess, that is a limitation of org-mode (inherited from outline-mode) you have to deal with.

Greetings,
        Stephan