Re: [Orgmode] Buffer-wide definitions in org-babel

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Buffer-wide definitions in org-babel
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:11:02 -0400

Juan Reyero <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
>> ** persistent python
>> #+begin_src python :session :results silent
>>  import types
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+begin_src python :session
>>  types.FunctionType
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+resname:
>> : function
>
> This works, but see what happens with this (no previous src chunks):
>
> #+begin_src python :session :results output
>  2
> #+end_src
>
> #+resname:
> : 2
> : 2

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the org-babel suggestions. However I can't replicate this
behaviour under linux. I get

#+resname:
: 2

for all three examples.

> (expected nothing, which is what I get if I remove the :session).

An understandable expectation. In non-session mode, we collect stdout
and if the expression "2" is passed to the interpreter nothing is output
to stdout. However in session mode we collect whatever output appears in
the comint buffer, and if you give the interpreter "2" the interpreter
comes back and prints the value of that expression.

I'm using org-version 6.31trans in emacs-version 23.0.91.1 under ubuntu
jaunty with python 2.6.2. Is this definitely replicable under OSX?

Dan

> #+begin_src python :session :results value
>  2
> #+end_src
>
> #+resname:
> : 0
>
> This is how my python buffer looks like after processing this last
> chunk in a fresh session:

> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/emacs.py:24:
> DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
>   from sets import Set
> 2
>

> _
> 'org_babel_python_eoe'