[Orgmode] Re: Hoisting (so to speak)

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Hoisting (so to speak)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:40:18 -0400

timetrap <address@hidden> writes:

> One of my favorite features in the vim out liner was the ability to
> "hoist" a sparse tree into a new temporary buffer.
>
> Is there a way to do this in org-mode?

Of course there is. This is emacs. ;)

Use C-x n s to narrow to the current subtree.

Use C-x n w to go back to the whole buffer (widen).

Use C-c x b to create a new buffer containing only the current subtree.

See http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#indirect-buffers

Note: I can't recall if the vim outliner's "hoisting" includes
temporarily/artificially "raising" the headline level/indentation of the
narrowed subtree. Org-mode does not do this (and intentionally so).

Best,
Matt