Re: [Orgmode] Re: How to get \\ in title or author?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: How to get \\ in title or author?
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 01:00:59 -0400

Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> Maybe \linebreak is less context-sensitive than \newline, which would mean
> >> that there are more contexts (like \title and \author) in which it behaves
> >> as expected. Just a guess.
> >
> > I've asked the question on FCTT (fr.comp.text.tex) and already got an answer
> > of Maneul Pegourie-Gonnard (who is expert on that matter):
> >
> > http://groups.google.fr/group/fr.comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/1b1af2e5291270e2#
> >
> > Sorry (for the others), it's in French.
>
> Merci!   Here is a summary:
>
> - none of \\ \linebreak or \newline change a paragraph, they just start
>   a new line
>
> - with \linebreak, LaTeX tries to justify the resulting text, not with
>   \newline
>
> - \linebreak can take an argument to let LaTeX decides whether the line
>   should be broken or not.  The default \linebreak always triggers a
>   break, but \linebreak[2] will let LaTeX decides depending on whether
>   the result is acceptable or not, and \linebreak[0] prevents any line
>   break...
>
> - \\ can take two arguments: one star and one digit.  The star prevents
>   the line break to trigger a page break, and the digit lets you add a
>   vertical space between the two lines.
>
>   In environments like \flushleft \flushright \centering \raggedleft
>   \raggedright, \\ doesn't have its normal definition (whereas \newline
>   behaves normally).
>
> - \newline is the version of \\ with no argument

Bastien,

Thanks for the summary. There is still one problem, I think, with #+AUTHOR:

  \author{one \\ two}

and

  \author{one \linebreak two}

behave differently (the \linebreak has no effect), so if one wants the
first behavior, the exporter's penchant to change \\ to
\\textbackslash{} will not allow it. I'm not sure why \title and \author
behave differently: I guess it's because \author is expanded inside a
\tabular, whereas \title is not.

Thanks,
Nick