[Orgmode] [Feature request/proposal] Pinkie finger saving/amateur mode &

From: Tim O'Callaghan
Subject: [Orgmode] [Feature request/proposal] Pinkie finger saving/amateur mode & alternate org-mode-keymap
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:38:27 +0200

Hi,

I've been using org, but it is starting to bug me that it relies so
heavily on control-c this and control-u control-c that. It is now also
the case that there is a bewildering array of key strokes to memorise.
You only need to look at the org-mode reference card to see that.

In my personal config i have the common things that i use re-mapped to
make it easier on me. For example org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c is mapped to
meta-o and org-remember is meta-r.

So this latest release with the agenda keymap change got me thinking
about the org keymapings, and I'd like to propose something a bit
different.

This is an idea that will work as a reference for beginners, a dynamic
built in org-mode reference card, and a pinkie finger saver.

Essentially it is this. There is a <magic-key> - meta-o or
ctrl-c-ctrl-c-ctrl-h or whatever. When you press this key it brings up
a menu like the remember mode and agenda mode front ends. This menu is
the top of a tree like structure that gives access to all of the
org-mode key-mappable things. Below is an example created from
headings in the org-mode reference card.

* Pressing <magic key> brings up a menu buffer with:
 [v]isibility cycling      [m]otion                      [s]tructure
editing
 ar[c]hiving               [f]iltering and sparse trees  [t]ables
 [l]inks                   [c]ompletion                  t[o]do items
and checkboxes
 ta[g]s                    t[i]mestamps                  [a]genda
 late[x] and cdlatex-mode  [e]xporting and publishing    [d]ynamic blocks
 [u]ser functions

* Pressing 'v' for [v]isibility, brings up the next menu:
===========================   Visibility Cycling
======================================
Menu option:                                                  org-keymap:
[r]otate current subtree between states             TAB
rotate [e]ntire buffer between states               S-TAB
restore [p]roperty-dependent startup visibility     C-u C-u TAB
show the [w]hole file, including drawers            C-u C-u C-u TAB
reveal [c]ontext around point                       C-c C-r

This creates an inbuilt help system and a pinkie saving mode. because
C-u C-u C-u TAB is also <magic key> v w

It should also be extendible enough for users to add their own
functions, and org-mode extensions to add any new keys.

Comments/Opinions?

Tim.